Thursday, June 2, 2016

Review: I know grandpa

I know grandpa I know grandpa by Paula M. Chaiken
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm biased because this is my wife writing a book inspired by our son's sadness about not knowing my father, but I can still say this is a beautiful story about a little boy solving a real problem: how can he "know" someone who died before he was born.

In the best spirit of children's books, David acts on his problem, solving it with the help of his grandmother. He doesn't wait for someone to help him fix his sadness; he goes on a mini-quest around his own house to find the many ways in which his grandfather's presence still echoes.

Kristin Leonard's illustrations are warm and reassuring, and the book promises to be a real comfort to children wrestling with what it means to miss (and even love) family members they never got to meet in person.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment