Thursday, June 2, 2016

Review: Thraxas and the Warrior Monks

Thraxas and the Warrior Monks Thraxas and the Warrior Monks by Martin Scott
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is my second Thraxas novel, and I'm starting to see the pattern: throw in multiple mysteries that eventually overlap; introduce some clever new wrinkles on the magic and politics of the world; and show that Thraxas is a striking combination of tolerant, capable, and self-deprecating.

If that sounds like a tepid review, it isn't. This is still very fun material, and "Martin Scott" makes it look easier than it is. (I've tried to do things like it and failed, and I still think he runs rings around Jim Butcher.) Just because you know it's a puzzle doesn't mean you don't enjoy the work of solving it.

The highest praise I have to offer is that, even if I feel as though I've got it figured out in the big sense, I'm still curious to know how he moves on in future versions. This is pulpy, good fun, and I'm pretty sure I'll belly up for at least one more helping of it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment