Thursday, June 2, 2016

Review: Redemption in Indigo

Redemption in Indigo Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a peculiar and magical book.

I can see a lot of people complaining about its transparency and about its tone. (It's narrated as if it were a story told to children.)

I like the transparency, though. Inasmuch as this is a fantasy novel -- and it is that, although it's also probably a tale of contemporary African mores as well -- it's an original and refreshing narrative. Lord finds a way very different from Tolkien, Rowling, or Martin to deal with the supernatural as if affects the world. It's quiet and generally gentle, but it accommodates a lot of disappointment and humanity as well.

I also very much liked the tone. It may sound as if she's talking to children, but she gets to more and more compelling depth as she goes, and the final effect is quietly moving.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment